Saturday, January 17, 2009

Obama letter to daughters: Barack Obama's letter to Malia, Sasha


obama letter, obama letter to daughters, obama letter to malia sasha, obama writes to daughters, obama parade magazine letter, obama parade letter, read my mind, monacomeParade Magazine has posted a letter written by Barack Obama to his daughters Malia and Sasha. For its upcoming issue, the magazine, in preparation for the inauguration of Barack Obama as the 44th President of the United States next week, asked the President-elect what his thoughts are about his family, his daughters in particular, with this historic event upcoming. In the letter to his daughters, he shares not only his thoughts and feelings but lessons he has learned while growing up as well. Barack Obama also wites, in some detail, events and issues that his daughters may not have understood earlier and shares what he wants for them, for all children in America. This is a letter not only written by the future President of the United

States of America to his daughters but details the thoughts and aspirations of an American father for his children and his country as a whole. Here are some excerpts from that letter:

Dear Malia and Sasha,

I know that you've both had a lot of fun these last two years on the campaign trail, going to picnics and parades and state fairs, eating all sorts of junk food your mother and I probably shouldn't have let you have. But I also know that it hasn't always been easy for you and Mom, and that as excited as you both are about that new puppy, it doesn't make up for all the time we've been apart. I know how much I've missed these past two years, and today I want to tell you a little more about why I decided to take our family on this journey.

When I was a young man, I thought life was all about me—about how I'd make my way in the world, become successful, and get the things I want. But then the two of you came into my world with all your curiosity and mischief and those smiles that never fail to fill my heart and light up my day. And suddenly, all my big plans for myself didn't seem so important anymore. I soon found that the greatest joy in my life was the joy I saw in yours. And I realized that my own life wouldn't count for much unless I was able to ensure that you had every opportunity for happiness and fulfillment in yours. In the end, girls, that's why I ran for President: because of what I want for you and for every child in this nation.

In one portion of the letter, the future President of America explains why young men and women have to sent off to war. It is, according to him, a responsibility that comes with the privilege of being an American:

Sometimes we have to send our young men and women into war and other dangerous situations to protect our country—but when we do, I want to make sure that it is only for a very good reason, that we try our best to settle our differences with others peacefully, and that we do everything possible to keep our servicemen and women safe. And I want every child to understand that the blessings these brave Americans fight for are not free—that with the great privilege of being a citizen of this nation comes great responsibility.

He also writes about his grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, and what she has taught him about life, America and being and American:

That was the lesson your grandmother tried to teach me when I was your age, reading me the opening lines of the Declaration of Independence and telling me about the men and women who marched for equality because they believed those words put to paper two centuries ago should mean something.

She helped me understand that America is great not because it is perfect but because it can always be made better—and that the unfinished work of perfecting our union falls to each of us. It's a charge we pass on to our children, coming closer with each new generation to what we know America should be.

It is both an eloquent and poignant piece written by a father to his daughters on the eve of a historic event that will forever change their lives - a change that, with this letter, Barack Obama hopes his daughters will not only treasure and cherish, but fully understand as well.

You can read the full text of Brack Obama's letter to his daughters Malia and Sasha at parade.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment